Saturday, March 10, 2012

Day 9: DeFuniak Springs, FL to Milton, FL

Today’s Miles: 60.0 Total Miles: 469.7
Can't beat Uncle Bill's
After yesterday's rest day, I am happy to say that today I was back in business and pain free! I have been icing, resting, and elevating my right knee, and while I ride I use a brace. Finally today, thanks to all of my precautions, and the minimal hills, my knee didn't hurt at all. Today's ride was beautiful and it was also improved by a nice tailwind. I finished today's 60 miles in less than 4.5 hours resulting in about a 13.5 MPH pace, by far the fastest pace of the trip. I met up mom about 40 miles in at Holt and we ate an early lunch at Uncle Bill's restaurant. 
Boardwalk out to Pensacola Beach
After that I polished off the last 20 miles into Milton and we were in the hotel and I was showered and ready to explore by 2:30pm. We drove the ~25 miles into Pensacola and had a great time. We drove out to Pensacola Beaches and took a walk on the beautiful white sands. Mom even nearly froze her legs off by wading a little in the water. After that we stopped by for a quick Happy Hour drink at a local tiki bar. On the way home we stopped for dinner at a great Vietnamese place and Mary had a new culinary experience, trying out her first bubble tea. For those of you who don't know, bubble tea is a delicious Asian treat that is flavored, sweetened tea with fairly large tapioca bubbles on the bottom. You drink it with a big straw and have to chew the bubbles. 
We had a great day!
Well, Mary got so excited about her tea that she blasted her huge straw through the bottom of the styrofoam cup, thinking she was attacking a bubble. Needless to say she just spilled bubble tea all over herself. We also ate fried spring rolls and pho, a really delicious Vietnamese soup. All in all this was a great day, and our last in Florida. Alabama, I hope you are ready for the Perdues!

1 comment:

  1. Good day and mileage. And had fun too.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete