Monday, March 26, 2012

Day 25: Lockhart, TX to Blanco, TX

Daily Miles: 60.5 Total Miles: 1387.7
Today's roadside flowers were cacti
Another beautiful day on the road! I was pretty nervous about today's climbing, but in the end it wasn't all that bad. And now I have a little more confidence, which is good because the climbs are only going to get worse as I continue westward. This morning we woke up and went to a nearby diner for breakfast, since our hotel didn't offer any. We had huge pancakes with bacon, homefries, and coffee. After that, I was full and ready to go.
Interesting windmill
Once I got out of Lockhart, I had a lovely ride on completely empty roads for around the first hour. I then moved on to a busier, but well-paved road with a nice shoulder. I rode through Kyle, TX and then continued on to Wimberley, 36 miles into the day, to meet Mary for lunch. Wimberley was a really cute town with a lot of shops, restaurants, and cafes. We ate right in the middle of town, and had a nice relaxing break. I got back on the road around 1pm, and it was, once again, really hot. And that's just when the climbing got more intense. I slowly made my way up, up, and up to finish the last 25 miles to Blanco. When all was said and done, I had climbed just under 2000', officially entered Texas Hill Country, and made it in to Blanco right before 3:30pm.
Plugging along up the hills
I quickly changed out of my bike shorts, Mary and I grabbed some ice cream at Dairy Queen, and then we drove the ~45 minutes down to San Antonio. Our hotel is in a great spot, and we had plenty of time to walk around the downtown area, eat a great Italian dinner, and take a boat tour of the Riverwalk area.  We are looking forward to doing more sightseeing tomorrow and really taking full advantage of our rest day!

Enjoying San Antonio!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you has a really good day. But my legs are tired just reading and thinking about biking uphill. Enjoy your rest time in San Antonio. Nice place to enjoy the sights. And I love the pic of the cacti. They are quite interesting. You and Mary be careful. Love you two.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Received your postcard from New Orleans. Nice. Thanks.

    Sandy :0)

    ReplyDelete