Saturday, March 17, 2012

Day 15: Chipola, LA to New Roads, LA

Daily Miles: 41.9 Total Miles: 821.3
Crossing the Mississippi
Today we crossed the Mighty Mississippi!! We had purposefully planned a shorter mileage day because after today's ride we are heading to Baton Rouge and then on to New Orleans for a rest day. I was up and ready to go early, and was greeted by a very thick fog. Mom and I had to drive the ~35 miles back to Chipola and the fog cleared a little, but when I set out at 9am, I was still a little nervous. I put on my blinking lights, and fortunately enjoyed the first wide shoulder I've seen since leaving Florida. The fog eventually cleared and I made great time riding up Louisiana 10 through the cute historic towns of Clinton and Jackson. While I was riding Mary was enjoying a tour of the Oakley Plantation. Before I knew it I was calling Mary to tell her to get ready to meet me on the other side of the Mississippi River.
Slave quarters at the Oakley Plantation 
The Audubon Bridge opened less than a year ago, and it's a beautiful bridge with a great shoulder for bikers. I finished up my ride around noon, returned to the hotel to shower, and then we headed down to Baton Rouge to have my bike serviced. Through some great recommendations by Andrew, a future classmate of mine, we ate a delicious late lunch and enjoyed drinks on a rooftop bar overlooking the Mississippi. After picking up my bike from the shop we pressed on to New Orleans. The traffic was rough, but we finally made it to our hotel, located on the canal, steps from the French Quarter. We were exhausted and took it easy tonight, but tomorrow we'll be ready to explore. As you all know tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day, so we're looking forward to the parades and exploring the city!
Crawfish risotto and spicy gumbo in Baton Rouge

1 comment:

  1. Can't believe you guys are in New Orleans. Delicious looking food. Yum!
    When I called, sounds like you two were having such a good time. Could hear all the fun noise in the background.

    Enjoy the rest period.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete