Thursday, March 1, 2012

Day 0: St. Augustine, FL

Today's Miles: 3 Total Miles: 3

We made it to St. Augustine alive and are ready to hit the road tomorrow!! I took a very quick ride down to the shore in hopes of dipping my tire in the Atlantic Ocean. Unfortunately, there is no beach on the St. Augustine mainland, so I had to resort to climbing down a large sea wall, standing in thick mud and dipping my fingers in stagnant ocean water. Thankfully, I was wise enough to not try to carry my bike down to the water.

After the ceremonial ocean-touching, we had a great "contemporary Southern" lunch at a restaurant called the Floridian, and then mom and I walked around historic St. Augustine. It's a really cool city. We did a little window shopping, and went to a crazy store selling jerky from various animals. I tried alligator and buffalo and Mom tried buffalo and elk. It was actually pretty good. We bought some elk, buffalo, gator, and traditional beef jerky for the trip, so we'll see if it fuels my ride better than the traditional Clif Bars.

Finally, since I'm sure you're all clamoring for good  stories, we will try to do a little blog installment called Two Perdues Ridiculous Encounter of the Day (or Week or Whatever). We hope that future ridiculous encounters feature other people, but in typical Perdue fashion we only needed ourselves to be ridiculous today.

Ok, Here we go. Today we visited a metal art store with a variety of different sculptures, mostly of animals. We happen upon the sculpture to the left, and the following conversation ensues:
Mary: Oooo!!! Look at that cute little grasshopper.
Carrie: Where?
Mary: That little guy right there. Layin' back and relaxin'. Like he's on the beach. He's got little stars on his boobs.
Carrie: Um, I'm pretty sure that's a mermaid.
Mary: Well, he's got a little grasshopper face.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck Mawwwwy and Carrie! Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buena suerte y feliz viaje! I'm looking forward to reading many more entertaining stories from your trip. Miss hanging out with you! - Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you guys are having a good time. I'll be keeping up with your daily travels. Have fun and be careful.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete