Thursday, April 26, 2012

Day 53: Jacumba, CA to Alpine, CA

Daily Miles: 44.6 Total Miles: 2863.6
Riding through the mountains
The weather forecast was calling for rain today, so the plan was to finish up early. I had a shorter ride today, so I didn't get on the road until 10am. I started out of Jacumba immediately climbing, and enjoyed nice roads and no wind. The day was full of big climbs and even bigger descents. I stopped briefly to chat with Mary after my first climb and then pushed on over another series of climbs to Pine Valley, 30 miles into the day. I hit my all-time high speed of 39.2 MPH as I was descending down into the town.
For the first time in 1500 miles we see GREEN!
We stopped for lunch before I headed out to finish the last ~15 miles of the day. I had one more big climb before I started a big descent into Alpine. I had to ride on the Interstate again, but today it was all downhill, and there was minimal traffic. I exited and then rode a series of rolling hills into town. I really enjoyed today's ride, and I even made it in to Alpine before the rains hit. Once in Alpine, Mary and I met up with Ann, my friend's mom, and she drove us out to their beautiful home.
Harnessing the power of the wind!
We had an awesome time sharing dinner and stories with Ann and John and their family friends Floyd, Vicki and Ryan. Tomorrow I am hoping the rains pass so that John and Floyd can join my for my final ride to the beach!

1 comment:

  1. Those are some nice pictures. Green, indeed.

    Well, it's almost over. Finish line in sight. I'm happy and sad. No more pictures, no postings. Boohoo for me :0(
    Evidently, I have no life (ha).
    Certainly happy for you and Mary :-)
    Very proud of you guys.

    Continue to stay safe.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete